Tuesday, February 21, 2012

'The Russian Sarafan' that took me on a long journey and ended up with nothing but victory.

So during my last year in college doing my BA(hons) in fashion we had to prepare for our final collection by the beginning of the year itself. So there began all the researching, sketching and reading all kinds of fashion forecasts...and finally I picked up a theme somewhat similar to what I did for the HND collection, but this time it was different! I thought I'd go more to the free flow y and colourful side of it. So I thought of the Russian national costume 'The Sarafan'. Loved the embroideries, the colours, the free feel of it and the beautiful thread works, pearls they had used to accessorize the head wear (The kokoshnik). It's just too beautiful to describe.

1 comment:

  1. My daughters and I are going to wear these for our dresses this winter.What I love about the Russian settlers dress AKA Sarafan,is how many centuries this style has remained the staple.We are updating it by putting huge 100% linen shirts under and wearing a type of Liberty of London print with the Sarafan.We dress modestly because we are Christians,and found this style to be both modest and feminine,and surprisingly,still rather fashionable.The little summer sundress that is known around the world came from this,I believe.It has stood the test of time,hasn't it? Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete